Dignity Movement is youth led and youth run liberal reform movement, established in 2019 by young professionals, artists & entrepreneurs to form strong and united liberal youth movement in Armenia. Dignity Movement questions existing public and political narratives of legitimacy of social, cultural and legal norms & questions them through the liberal, green and pacifist theories campaigns for the reforms. Dignity Movement advocates through the United Nation, European and national human rights protection mechanisms and instruments. Dignity Movement's mission is to uphold protection of human dignity, rights and liberties by empowering youth to realize their rights and freedoms through arts, science, media and political campaigns for five reforms. Dignity Movement's visions liberal & equal society, where everyone lives their life with dignity and enjoys their rights and freedoms equally. Dignity Movement's core values are: -Humanity & Human Rights Alertness. -Gender Sensitivity, Equity & Justice. -Transparency, Accountability & Honesty. -Green Ideology & Policies. -Participation & Inclusiveness. -Respectfulness, Dignity & Diversity. -Community Commitment & Ownership.
Since the Soviet Union, Armenias only first step forward towards LGBT equality was CoE requirement for decriminalisation of homosexuality in 2003 to join the organisation. LGBT organisations’ resources are hardly enough to adequately respond to the LGBT violence. The community lives in hard social, cultural, media and political environment. Armenia persistently ranks one of the LGBT-phobic countries in Europe. Public thematic events, prides are absent, LGBT community is not legally protected from hate or discrimination, and does not have family and adoption rights. The objective of Dignity Movement is to push forward issues of LGBT equality into the political, social, civil discourses and agendas. Dignity Movement brings inter-sectoral multi-stakeholder level active discussions about robust legal framework protecting LGBT rights. Dignity Movement campaigns to
- reform legal norms to ensure LGBT equality & freedom.
- raise social and cultural acceptance of diversity, inclusion and intersectionality.
- celebrate diversity by sending strong messages of belonging and love.
Young people, who persistently use psychoactive substances, often experience an array of problems, including academic difficulties, health-related problems (including mental health), poor peer relationships, and involvement with the juvenile justice system or engagement in illicit drug sell or in sexwork. In addition, Armenia remains one of the fewest countries in the world, where youth targeted HIV and harm reduction programs. To tackle these persisting barriers, Dignity Movement challenges harmful laws, policies and practices that negatively impact young people’s access to HIV and harm reduction services. Dignity Movement campaigns to
- reform HIV and drug related policies to achieve the highest standards of health for young people.
- establish human rights based harm reduction and HIV services for youth.
- celebrate and promote healthy lifestyle through educational, sport and arts activities.
Environmental protection is one of the basic prerequisites for the overall development of any country in the world. Armenia is not famous for its green culture and policies. Yerevan remains one of the most polluted capitals in Europe. There is a need to reform our interaction with environmental systems and start to think about issues related to conservation, pollution, loss of biodiversity, land degradation and overall environmental policy. Plastic pollution, inadequate waste bins, and sanitation are daily problems of each resident or a tourist in Armenia, especially true, when you are not in Yerevan. Another huge topic of concern is street dogs, in need of shelter and care. Dignity Movement campaigns to
- reform the waste management system by introducing a nationwide waste recycling system.
- establish shelters and adoption centres for street dogs.
- celebrate and promote love towards nature through organising green activities and green art & educational projects.
Free university education offers great advantages to the state in the long-term. In effect, it is an investment in one of the most significant resources of the nation: human capital. By bringing education to the grassroots level education becomes the vehicle of carrying citizens from the poor sector to develop. It is a mean to achieve equality and prevent further marginalisation. Armenian’s everyday debate is the poor quality of education. The quality of the programs do not align with the tuition fees, while your diploma is guaranteed, if you pay. Many of these institutions lack ethical committees and academic freedom regulations. Dignity Movement campaigns to
- reform the higher education system, make it free and accessible to everyone.
- improve the admission, learning and researching processes in alliance with the freedom of academic expression.
- promote respect towards academia, professionalism and celebrate human achievements and scientific discoveries.
Peace is the bold, courageous and ultimate response to the notion that violence provides any viable solution for the conflicts of our world. Where war destroys and tears apart, peace builds, strengthens and restores. The Dignity Movement wants to build a harmonious society. It requires a change of hearts and minds, a change of our beliefs and understandings. We think the exchange of ideas and opinions is a crucial component of a democratic society to achieve peace. Our “expression” is not limited to words, written or spoken, but extends to pictures, images, actions and even cultural heritage. Freedom of expression allows us to pluralist dialogue and creates a secure platform for critical voices. Dignity Movement campaigns to
- protect freedom of speech & expressions of young people, including a freedom to hold an opinion in various forms.
- improve media pluralism through a community media contribution to diversity by providing a space for dialogue.
- promote peaceful coexistence & pluralism and celebrate peace and harmonious society through artistic creations and performances.